Another name for Zeus virus is also Zbot Trojan. This Trojan works silently and can leave a significant influence on the infected computer.
This virus steals sensitive information which can be personally identifiable and bring harm to its user.
Zeus virus is spread on a massive scale through the RIG Exploit Kit. The method this infection uses on your computer is that it sends an alert system update and security fake update message.
This false alert offers to scan your computer, and then it offers to provide 24*7 tech support with a toll-free number which claims to help fix the problems BUT do not trust them.
This alert is fake, and the issues you are informed do not exist at all, it’s a digital scam by the cyber hacker to mislead their victims.
Modus operandi of Zeus Trojan
This virus was created to gain people’s banking credentials, the way it works is to make minor changes in the configuration files of this Trojan’s toolkit, this virus can be customized to gather virtual information that the cyber hacker desire to collect.
Many different methodologies are adopted by Zeus Trojan to evoke the information it needs, but the two major ones are listed below.
The FTP, POP3 or Internet Explorer which collects the personal details and passwords automatically from a Protected Storage (PStore) once the virus enters the victim’s computer.
Zeus virus keeps a close check on frequently visited websites and this may come in the form for a survey which has additional fields to the fill-in forms, which ask the users to enter additional information which is not a requirement by the original website.
For example, birthday details or a share your phone number, instead of the original required for a username and password.
The next method adopted by Zeus is to connect through the command-and-control server which sends out clues to facilitate its malicious activities on the infected computers.
This method downloads infected files, then shutdowns or reboot your device, it can also, delete the system files, which may cause harm to your OS to crash.
As a result, the victim of this virus may have to be forced to the fully reinstall the operating system.
Various methods of spreading this virus on your system.
- Spam emails with attachments or the other name for this are phishing; this method is designed in such a way which can trick the victim into interacting with electronic media entity, which appears to be legitimate and trustworthy.For example, people receive a pop-up message that looks similar to a regular windows notification that prompts you to either click Yes or No. But in reality, this is a disguise for the Zeus virus to enter into your computer.
Therefore, we strongly recommend our readers always to take care and be on a watch out for any unwanted and unexpected pop-ups on your screen, especially when using their primary browser.
- Drive-by downloads as per the name, in this method any unwanted content might get downloaded without the user’s permission.
The victim might be unaware that they have permitted to download without being aware that the file is potentially dangerous. Utmost care must be taken when opening any new e-mails from an unknown sender or when visiting any suspicious and shady sites.
- Bundling-comes with free programs or programs downloaded from torrent or online storage sites are often the carriers for different adware, virus or Trojans.
- Another unique feature of this virus is to use of a hidden Virtual Network Computing (VNC) process in the computer memory that allows attackers to monitor victims without being noticed remotely.
- Pop-up Ads– If you get tempted with the Ads that show up on your PC, and if you click them, it could be an entry point for such malware.
Points suggesting your PC has been infected:
- The user may receive error message ‘Internet Explorer could not display the page’ when attempting to access certain websites.
- Your computer runs slower than the usual.
- Web browser’s default homepage will change.
- Access to security-related websites will be blocked.
- You will be redirected to other web pages other than the one you don’t want to visit.
- Suddenly your system will freeze, hang or become unresponsive.
- A sudden rush of annoying web browser pop-up messages.
- The appearance of unwanted toolbars appears at the top of your browser.
Suggestions to safeguard your computer?
- ITL is always recommended to keep all your most used browser software updated.
If proper steps are not taken to protect it, it is easy for any other an older version to attack it and attackers mainly target older version. We suggest using our best antivirus tool for 2018 ITL for your computer.
- It is advised to carefully read all the the end user license agreement (EULA) documents when installing any software.
In most of the cases the EULA or the terms and conditions are mentioned in the hidden in the EULA, so when you accept the user agreements, you might be unknowingly receiving malware. We would like to suggest to download and use our free malware tool to protect your computer.