Let us understand what is browser hijacking – It is caused by nasty code which can alter your browser settings without your knowledge. The main purpose of any hijacker is redirect you to an unwanted web site, instead of the one that you want to visit.
A browser redirect virus may modify settings of all the installed web browsers, but often that the unwanted software can also infect all types of web browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. This forces the user to visit an unwanted page every time open the browser.
Browser redirect virus can also change the search engine frequently used browser.
Once infected and the victim tries to search through the infected browser, you will be presented with search results, consisting of pop up ads and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Links from unwanted and ads also get attached post the infection is in the computer.
What is the main purpose of browser hijacking?
The major purpose of a browser hijacker is to help the cyber hackers to generate fake advertising revenue. For example, browser hijacker redirects the victim’s from their homepage to their home page, then the hijacker redirects victim web searches to links the hijacker wants the victim to see, rather than to legitimate search engine results. When the user clicks on the search results, the hijacker gets paid. The cyber hackers can also sell information about victim browsing habits to third parties for marketing purposes.
A browser hijacker also works many a time as a spyware, which enables the attacker to obtain the user’s banking information or other personnel and sensitive data. Browser hijacker also works as a malware which later converts into a ransomware, malware that encrypts data on the victim system, demands a ransom till then it is a hostage ,until the victim pays the hijackers a certain predefined sum of money to unlock it.
Gist of the typical effects a Browser Hijacker can have on your system.
- The most important change it brings is altering the Homepage and search page of your browser.
- Changes the options in your Internet settings without the user’s permission.
- Blocking access to certain functions (parts or all of the internet options screen, registry editor etc)
- This browser hijacker without the users permission automatically add sites to your “trusted zone”
- It adds a prefix URL, therefore if you enter a site in your browser without a prefix (ie google.com), internet explorer automatically appends http:// to the address. This function can be abused to redirect you to any site if you omit the prefix.
- It could hinder adding a proxy server so all your traffic could be interrupted.
- Changes the user style sheet (normally used for visually impaired users), thereby changing the way websites appear.
Precautions and Suggestion:
While installing any new freeware software or game make sure you go through the license agreement section and read all the terms and conditions. We would recommend our best tool free malware removal tool for all your technical issues.
If reading terms and condition is taking much time , then while installing the freeware opt for “custom and automatic installation,” it is always recommended that you go with this option as this would close the other programs that might get installed along with it .So to secure all these issue use the best antivirus in India.
If you find on your computer screen any additional add-ons or toolbars checked, then make sure to uncheck them this would avoid the installation of browser hijacker or the adware.